Monday, July 12, 2004

A Chance Meeting in the Park

"Look at that poor sod over there with the yellow hair."

"Hehe, looks like the silly boy is in love."

"Psh, love what a load of malarky. You know I bet the foolish boy would walk a plank for the girl he loves."

"Heck, I bet he'd walk a plank into a tank full of man eating sharks."

"Not just any sharks mind, great bigger man-eating sharks that can swallow a man whole."

"I hear that in sharks like those a man doesn't die till he drowns in it's belly!"

"Mmm-hmmm-mmmm-hmmmm-mmmmm what terrible, horrible creatures they are."

"Interestingly enough," the yellow haired boy spoke up having over heard the old crones' conversation. "I did something far more dreadful than that for my love."

"Bah, there is nothing worse," replied the tallest and boldest of the two crones.

"Madam, I assure there is far worse, since you challenge me I shall tell you but only in whispered words."

"My dear, are you afraid that if you speak your secret too loudly the sky will fall for I assure you young man that if you survived it must not be that dreadful."

The bold crones little friend giggled softly into a small white linen handkerchief, apparently at the wittiness of her friends words.

The young man with the yellow hair walked over to the old lady. He put his lips near the old lady's ear, at that moment she rolled her eyes. The young boy spoke so softly that not even the bold crones little friend, with ears pricked could make them out, yet the words had so much force that the old woman fainted. She would've crumpled to the ground like a discarded tissue had the yellow haired boy not caught her. The boy laid her down on a bench. The little crone stood agape beside her friend, waving her little handkerchief has fast as she could. The boy strolled off down the lane whistling with a little skip in his step, satisfied with the results.

What was it the boy said to the poor old lady? Simple, he said, "I had to spend the night alone with three of her drunk uncles and a drunk aunt."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home